431 East College Street
Granville, OH 43023
Toll free: 800-233-8787
Sandra W. Burk
Sandy Burk is the author of Let the River Run Silver Again: How One School Helped Return the American Shad to the Potomac River -- And How You Too Can Help Restore Our Living Waters.
The book, first published in 2004, was originally titled Pearls of the River: How One School Helped Save the Chesapeake Shad. Knowing that demand for the book would continue, Sandy was eager to have it republished. The new book includes the original story along with valuable resource information to assist readers on how a watershed program may be created wherever they may live.
Ms. Burk received her undergraduate degree in biology at Duke University and masters degree in marine biology at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. She was a fisheries biologist for the state governments of Maryland and North Carolina, and taught marine biology at the University of South Carolina. For the past twelve years she has worked as a biologist, science teacher trainer, and outreach coordinator in Prince William County (VA) and Montgomery County (MD). She also assisted in the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Schools in Schools Program, which led her to document and write about Westbrook Elementary's participation in the shad restoration project.
Ms. Burk is available for lectures and book signings.
1. American shad.
2. Watershed conservation and restoration.
3. Outreach education.
1. For speaking engagements, the author requests reimbursement for travel expenses.
2. An honorarium is appreciated whenever possible.
3. Invitations to speak should be extended to the visiting author via the publisher.
4. The author's book published by McDonald & Woodward will be available on site, either through the visiting author or the sponsoring organization; contact us at 1-800-233-8787 for further information about buying our books.